Sign in to follow this  
SMIGfan

Video Assistant Referee (VAR)

Flip side is of course it might do well tonight and it stays permanently.

I blame that chicken headed fuck Mike Riley. No coincidence the standard of refereeing has dropped significantly since that thing got made ref’s assessor. 

Its coming in regardless of how good/bad it is imo. Everyone else is using it or will be using it by next season.

Sick of hearing arguing about penalties. 

1 minute ago, SamCFC said:

Its coming in regardless of how good/bad it is imo. Everyone else is using it or will be using it by next season.

Sick of hearing arguing about penalties. 

There were 15 replays of that 2nd Forest pen yesterday and still people can't make their minds up as to whether it should have been given. 

If it comes in and stays without any sort of regulation, eventually there'll be referees stopping for every decision because of crowd pressure, player pressure and even pressure from their assistants. All it's going to take is someone in their ear saying "hmmm, not sure about that one" and that'll be it. 

Genuinely think people will lose interest if games become too fragmented. 

Yeah I’m really against it. This stupid fucking spray has slowed the game down enough, think want video replays would do.

Anyone see the decision that the VAR ref totally fucked up in the Juventus game the other day? There was a blatant foul in the build up to the game and ref looked at the reply and gave a goal. I’ll try find the video, blatant foul.

football just isn’t like other sports that use video technology successfully.

23 hours ago, FC_Norwich said:

Yeah I’m really against it. This stupid fucking spray has slowed the game down enough, think want video replays would do.

Anyone see the decision that the VAR ref totally fucked up in the Juventus game the other day? There was a blatant foul in the build up to the game and ref looked at the reply and gave a goal. I’ll try find the video, blatant foul.

football just isn’t like other sports that use video technology successfully.

Other sports also get video replay calls wrong though. NBA all the time, and NHL much less frequently. 

In Portuguese League Boavista conceded a goal that was allegedly offside but VAR can't disallow it because Boavista fan was waving massive flag in front of the camera. 

https://cf-e2.streamablevideo.com/video/mp4/phm4x.mp4?token=1518005915-SLiMuAfjCyTVOJp1GfXTagOo9daH1bow6Sh86x2BZXI%3D

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, KajoCFC said:

In Portuguese League Boavista conceded a goal that was allegedly offside but VAR can't disallow it because Boavista fan was waving massive flag in front of the camera. 

https://cf-e2.streamablevideo.com/video/mp4/phm4x.mp4?token=1518005915-SLiMuAfjCyTVOJp1GfXTagOo9daH1bow6Sh86x2BZXI%3D

• Haha 2

Not really VAR related since it's not used in Europa League but a couple of offside decisions that are cause for debate.

Astana v Sporting. This goal was allowed to stand. Do you agree? https://streamable.com/4asjp

RB Leipzig v Napoli. This was flagged for offside but people are saying that IFAB laws should have allowed for play to continue. Many feel it's ridiculous that the IFAB allow for this type of scenario to be onside. https://streamable.com/txogl

Neither should’ve been offside. 

Goal 1 there are players in an offside position, but they don’t become involved in play or interfere with keeper.

Goal 2 he may be offside (hard to tell with that camera angle) but the defender intentionally plays the ball, thereby bringing the attacker into the play. 

First goal I would say offside, it looks to me that the lad in the middle of the three is interfering with the GK.

Goal number two is exactly the type of goal that annoys me and nearly an exact copy of my scenario arguement in the Liverpool vs Spurs game for Harry Kane’s penalty. Yes the defender has deliberately played the ball but he hasn’t got much chance of clearing that properly and he can’t leave it because he doesn’t know if the attacker is offside.

First one is definitely offside. How can anybody say the middle one didn’t interfere with the keeper? Shocking decision.

Second one isn’t but should be. The rules are an arse for cases like that. The player was offside when the pass was made, it shouldn’t matter if the defender then touched it en route.

1 hour ago, Stevemaniacs said:

First one is definitely offside. How can anybody say the middle one didn’t interfere with the keeper? Shocking decision.

Second one isn’t but should be. The rules are an arse for cases like that. The player was offside when the pass was made, it shouldn’t matter if the defender then touched it en route.

Completely agree with your point on the second goal, I would hazard a guess that the rule was bought in more to do with players playing a back pass and getting it wrong rather then trying to cut out a through ball.

VAR is great technology but it's becoming useless when you sit a fucking doughnut behind the monitor. 

1 hour ago, merrington said:

Completely agree with your point on the second goal, I would hazard a guess that the rule was bought in more to do with players playing a back pass and getting it wrong rather then trying to cut out a through ball.

That's my thoughts as well. Solved one issue but caused another by not being clear enough.

12 hours ago, Stevemaniacs said:

How so?

12 hours ago, Stevemaniacs said:

But it does, because that's how the rule was written. You might have an argument for changing the rule, but as it's currently written it seems pretty clear to me.

For the first check the video at 7 and 11 seconds for the replay. The player is coming back in front of the keeper just as the shoot is taken. That’s blatantly interfering with the GK.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, ArteEtLabore14 said:

How so?

But it does, because that's how the rule was written. You might have an argument for changing the rule, but as it's currently written it seems pretty clear to me.

1. As Merrington alluded to, the middle player both makes contact with the goalkeeper and obstructs his view just as the shot is coming in.

2. Did you skip the entire paragraph? I literally stated that it isn't offside before explaining why I disagree with the rule and think it should be.

I’ll have to watch again, I didn’t notice physical contact between a player in yellow in the keeper. 

When you said it “should” be offside I took it to mean that’s how the ref should’ve called it, not how the rule should be written. My bad, Steve-o. 

• Like 1